Manchester Premier Cup Quarter-Final – Tuesday 8 January 2013

by Gary Owen 

The Bloods cruised to a rare victory after a first half scare at the Abbey Stadium.

It was the hosts on the offensive in the opening moments, but Liam Murray was denied by a brave dash off his line from new ‘keeper Bruno Miguel Silva.

However, Droylsden soon launched some attacks of their own, and James Ellison’s flick header was straight at Jonathan McIlwaine, but on 12 minutes the first goal arrived when Ellison headed home after Nat Kerr had nodded a Carlos Logan corner kick back into the danger area.

Abbey Hey responded well, though, and Danny Hewitt struck a shot straight at Silva, but they drew level on 19 minutes when Paul Smith won a thumping tackle to set the pacey Martin Pilkington free, and he kept his cool to round the exposed Silva and slot home.

Sean Dhoerty shot wised after good work by Lee Rick, and McIlwaine held on to a Logan free kick, before Pilkington went close for the hosts despite looking two yards offside.

A Nat Kerr header struck a defender before crashing against the bar to leave the first half level at 1-1.

Two goals within a minute inside the opening ten minutes of the second period settled matters. Firstly, Kerr was allowed the freedom of the box to guide his header home from another Logan flag kick, and then Doherty lobbed McIlwaine from a long punt forwards by Rob Sissons.

Wesley Harney headed over for Abbey Hey, but Steve Hall made it 41 with a left footed drive past McIlwaine after being put through by Sissons.

A dipping volley from Pilkington was gathered in by Silva in the Droylsden goal, and the Bloods’ debutante was in action soon afterwards palming away a fierce drive from Murray, before the same man saw his effort cleared off the line from the resultant corner kick.

Joe O’Neill headed wide from Logan’s cross, but Abbey were soon back at the other end with Silva tipping over a super header by the dangerous Pilkington.

With time running out, O’Neill pounced on a defensive error to round McIlwaine and make it 5-1, before Rick converted a spot kick two minutes from time after Hall was shoved in the back in the penalty area.

 Droylsden now face a semi-final tie against either Salford City, Ashton United or Mossley, probably to be played some time next month.


Abbey Hey:                           McIlwaine, Byrne, Moss, Gibson, Finnigan (O’Connor, 72’), Davidson, Murray L. (Harney, 61’), Smith, Hewitt (Westmerland, 83’), Pilkington, Hardy

Subs. not used:                    Murray D., Flanagan.

Droylsden:                             Latham, Derbyshire, Logan, Palmer (Langford, 27’), Kerr, Sissons, Rick, Hall, O’Neill, Ellison (Killeen, 46’), Doherty.

Subs. not used:                    Bryan, Holden.

Category: Match Reports