Blue Square Bet North – Saturday 5 January 2013

by Gary Owen

Droylsden recorded yet another defeat to add to their significant relegation woes, and a poor first half show from The Bloods was punished by some clinical finishing from Brackley, notably through Tom Winters, who notched a brace within 15 minutes.

Jefferson Louis twice saw efforts go off target for the visitors, before Winters’s first came after just seven minutes, when he collected the ball some 30 yards from goal, dropped a shoulder to fool Andy Langford, and drilled a low effort past Dale Latham into the bottom corner from just outside the box.

Joe O’Neill’s header for The Bloods from Carlos Logan’s free kick flew straight into the grateful arms of former Oxford United stopper, Billy Turley, before a Louis header for the visitors at the other end similarly found its way into the gathering arms of Latham from Steve Diggin’s cross.

Droylsden were unlucky to see a swift counter attack by James Ellison and Carlos Logan result in Ellison’s header striking the post, then the back of Turley before going out for a corner. Had the ball gone into the net off the Town stopper, then that may have changed the course of the game.

As it was, Brackley recovered and doubled their lead when Winters benefitted from a clever flick header by Diggin to slot under the exposed Latham.

Just before the half-hour mark, it was game over when Jefferson Louis had time in the six yard box to chest down James Clifton’s cross before slamming home from close range.

Brackley recorded further efforts through Glenn Walker and ex-Kettering man, Brett Solkhon, but both were off target, before a superb last ditch block by Lewis Killeen denied Winters his hat-trick.

Three early second half substitutes gave the hosts more impetus in terms of possession, but they failed to turn that into clear cut chances, with Turley only being tested on 69 minutes to tip over a Lee Rick drive. Ahead of that effort, a bursting run from Winters resulted in his effort finding the side netting, and at the same end a Louis header was directed straight at Latham.

The Bloods’ domination of second half possession finally started to create a couple of chances, but Ashley Palmer’s header deflected over Turley’s bar off fellow defender Nat Kerr, and a Logan free kick was a yard off target.

In between those efforts, Louis broke through, but was thwarted by a brave save from Latham, and Diggn flashed an effort wide as Brackley countered from a home attack.

With six minutes remaining, a partial clearance by the home defence saw the ball fall at the feet of Diggin some 40 yards from goal, and with Latham caught some distance from his goal, the Brackley striker tried his luck. Fortunately, for the hosts, Palmer was alert to the danger to head clear before the ball crossed the line.

As the game drew to a close, Latham held on to a Winters free kick, and Turley was happy to watch an effort from James Ellison go wide.

In added time, Palmer should have recorded a consolation goal for the hosts, but he blazed over from 8 yards as Brackley failed to clear a home corner kick.

With less than half the season remaining, The Bloods lie some eight points from safety, and with goals hard to come by it is presently difficult to see where the points will come from to afford that safety. There are games lying ahead against teams around Dave Pace’s side, and points must be secured against these sides if Droylsden are to stand any chance of escaping the clutches of the Northern Premier League.


Droylsden:                             Latham, Derbyshire, Holden (Doherty, 53’), Palmer, Langford (Kerr, 53’), Sissons, Rick, Killeen (Hall, 53’), O’Neill, Ellison, Logan.

Subs. not used:                    Bryan, Jacombs.

Brackley Town:                     Turley, Clifton, McDonald, Odhimabo, Austin, Nisevic (Sharpe, 72’), Walker (Story, 45’), Solkhon, Diggin (Mulligan, 84’), Louis, Winters.

Subs. not used                     Sandy, Corcoran.

 ATTENDANCE:                    192

 REFEREE:                            Mr. Matthew Walsh (Sheffield, South Yorkshire)

Category: Match Reports