EvoStik Northern Premier League – Division One (North)

Saturday 20 December 2014

by Gary Owen


Farsley became the first team to record the double over Droylsden, coming from behind in this encounter to add to the three points they won at the Butcher’s Arms earlier this year.

Neil Parsley’s side created the better early chances, with Russell Saunders pulling off a great stop low to his left to turn away an effort from Aiden Savory, and Shaun Holden having to clear off the line from Ross Daly’s effort after good work down the left flank from Andy Welsh.  Adam Priestley then registered a shot wide of the mark for the hosts, before The Bloods began to make best use of the wind behind their backs.

Ben Hampson saw his shot tipped over by Tom Taylor, and the Droylsden man’s follow-up effort from the corner kick was cleared off the Farlsey line.  Holden, Adam Morning and Alex Frost all then saw efforts fly off target, but Droylsden did snatch the lead on 36 minutes when Kieron Kenny rose to head home a Morning corner.

The Bloods began the second half well, determined to defend and add to their lead, but Michael Monaghan’s shot was well defended by Josh Grant after Morning had caused mayhem down the left wing.  However, that was to be Droylsden’s best chance of the half, as Farsley took more control.

Lewis Nightingale blasted over from a central position on the hour mark, but Farsley drew level on 69 minutes in rather fortunate fashion.  Robbie O’Brien was trying to find Priestley on the counter attack.  Ally Brown was alert to the danger and stuck out a leg, but the spin on the ball meant that as it looked like it was heading just wide of the post, it crept inside it with Saunders a spectator.

Farsley sealed their victory ten minutes from time when Kenny was caught trying to play offside, but Savory rushed in behind the Droylsden defence.  Saunders came out, but the ex-Bradford PA and Harrogate Town man rolled the ball home, despite the efforts of Frost and Brown on the line.

Droylsden’s final effort was a free kick from substitute Matty Burke, but it went a yard wide, leaving Droylsden in fourth place, but losing ground in terms of points and games on those around them.



Category: Match Reports