EvoStik Northern Premier League – Division One (North)

Saturday 11 April 2015

by Gary Owen

The Bloods can have no complaints with this result, in a game which saw them three goals down inside the opening half hour, and another red card to boot, as Droylsden felt the chop at the Giant Axe.

Droylsden’s downfall was their desire to play the ball out from the back four, only to get caught in possession – and then to fail to learn from those mistakes, as they led to all three first half goals.  Admittedly, Dave Pace’s men were facing a strong head wind, and so a longer ball may have soon been coming back, but maybe better that than the catastrophe that ensued.

First to be caught was Shaun Myler, who otherwise had a sound game, with Josh Draycott robbing him before slotting past the exposed Craig Ellison on five minutes.  However, that was not before Ciarian Kilheeney had a good chance to put the visitors ahead

The second goal came on 21 minutes when Simon Wearing was the beneficiary of sloppy play on the edge of the box, who unleashed a 20 yard volley past Ellison.

Josh Sumner had a goal ruled-out for Droylsden for a push in the back on a City defender, and Ellison saved at the other end for Draycott following another breakdown in Droylsden possession.

On 30 minutes, Matty Poole converted with a neat first time effort at the near post from Sam Bailey’s low cross, following another loss of possession in a dangerous area from Droylsden’s perspective.

The second half saw an improvement from Droylsden, with the wind now at their backs, and Fernando Moke’s 25 yard free kick was turned away by Mike Hale.

Moke then looked like he’d won his side a penalty when he pounced on a poor clearance from Hale to round the Lancaster keeper and seemed to be tripped, but the referee waved play on – interestingly with no card shown to Mole for simulation.

Moke was again involved, this time teeing up Kilheeney, whose volley flew just inches over the bar.

Ellison was then guilty of overplaying the ball in his own box, with Reece Pearce chasing him down, only to see the ball ricochet agonisingly across the face of goal and away to safety.

With 13 minutes remaining, Peter Dogan was dismissed – his third red in as many games – for a violent head-butt, which sparked a melee amongst the remaining players.

Once matters had settled down, Ryan Winder rubbed salt into Droylsden’s wounds with a well taken fourth a minute from the end, firing across Ellison after a powerful run saw him beat Ben McNamara.

Despite Droylsden’s improved second half showing, overall this game illustrated why perhaps the end of the season cannot now come quickly enough for a beleaguered looking Bloods’ side.


Lancaster City          Hale, Bailey (Clark, 69’), Freeland, Davis, Marshall, Hunter, Winder, Akrigg, Poole (Pearce, 46’), Wearing, Draycott (Birch, 87’).  Subs not used – Hoyle, Donlon.

Droylsden      Ellison, Brown, Monaghan, Hall, Dogan, McNamara, Alcock, Myler, Kilheeney, Sumner (Pritchard-Ellis, 87’), Moke.  Subs not used – Doran, Pena, Kerr, Murphy.

Referee                                  Mr. Paul Ince

Attendance                           177

Category: Match Reports