EvoStik Northern Premier League – Division One (North)

Saturday 18 April 2015

by Gary Owen

Droylsden’s dismal end to the season continued with this rather inept display in West Yorkshire, against an Ossett Town outfit, who were marginally better, thereby creating a somewhat lacklustre spectacle.

However, Fernando Moke’s deflected shot struck a post in the opening five minutes, but that was to be the highlight of a dour first half, with the game’s first shot on target not arriving until seven minutes before the break.  That was a snapshot from home substitute Calum Hepworth, but it was straight at Craig Ellison.

Daz Lucas then did likewise for the hosts, before another effort from Moke was easy for Brad Dixon in the town goal.

Town grew into the game after the break, whereas Droylsden still looked like they were shopping for flip flops.  The hosts should really have taken the lead just before the hour mark when Nathan Curtis headed a deep cross back to the opposite post for Joe Brennan to convert, but he somehow headed wide when unmarked from five yards out.

Rob Doran then stung Dixon’s palms at the other end with a fierce drive, but a goal finally arrived to wake the crowd on 70 minutes, and what a strike it was.  With Town attacking, Ellison saved Josh Whiteley’s free kick, and recovered quickly to clear the ball from Brennan.  However, as the ball was cleared out of the box, Ross Armstrong unleashed a first time volley that flew past a bemused Ellison from 25 yards.

Armstrong should have doubled his and Town’s tally, but he failed to get sufficient purchase to a Curtis cross, but the hosts secured the points ten minutes from the end when Ellison came to collect a high ball, but he mis-judged horribly, enabling Curtis to convert into the empty net from a tight angle.

Droylsden have now lost as many games as they have won this term, leaving just Radcliffe Borough at home in the final game to restore some end of season pride, which is – thankfully – not a third consecutive relegation battle.


Ossett Town  Dixon, Exton, Jeff, Ross, Cheeseman, Wood, Curtis (Pashley, 84’), Lucas, Brennan, Whiteley (Grayson, 72’), Merris (Hepworth, 18’).  Subs not used – Atkinson, Backhouse

Droylsden      Ellison, Brown, McNamara (Murphy, 67’), Kerr, Hall, Alcock, Monaghan (Pritchard-Ellis, 72’), Myler (Doran, 55’),  Kilheeney, Sumner, Moke.  Subs not used – Shanks, Pena.

Referee                                  Mr. Wayne Gunnill ()

Category: Match Reports