EVOSTIK NPL Division One (North)

Tuesday 25 August 2015


The weaknesses of The Bloods’ current paper thin squad were clinically exposed by the Hillmen in this Derbyshire humiliation.  Having lost both recognised centre halves to injury on Saturday, makeshift central defenders Steve Hall (midfield) and Joe Cooper (full back) were caught napping and punished, with the latter eventually seeing red for a late offence leading to the final goal.

There was less than five minutes on the clock when Jamie Rainford forced Craig Ellison into a smart save low to his right, but Droylsden failed to heed the warning, and the same man made it 1-0 from an almost identical position two minutes later.

Matty Burke – one of Droylsden’s few credible performers – shot straight at Gregory Hall, before Rainford curled another effort just wide at the other end.  Burke was then unlucky to see his effort take a slight deflection off David Young to divert the ball just over the bar, but credit must go to the Glossop skipper for throwing his body in the way.

And so instead of the game being level at 1-1, the hosts flew down the other end to double their lead.  After Droylsden had failed to clear a corner kick, substitute Jason Carey looped a fine header over Ellsion and into the far corner.

Carey later tried a speculative long range effort that almost caught Elilson napping, yet Droylsden still probed with debutante Daniel Douglas-Pringle electing to shoot wide with Dempsey Smith and Mike Koral better placed.  Ellison was again forced into action, this time from Astley Mulholland, and Droylsden were denied a goal when Gregory Hall turned away a curling free kick from Burke.

At the break, Glossop were good value for their lead, but The Bloods remained in it.  However, that all changed just after the hour when Rainford controlled the ball from a high free kick to show composure to shoot across Ellison for Glossop’s third.  Ahead of that, Saul Henderson headed wastefully wide for Droylsden, and so a possible one goal deficit soon turned into a three goal one, and it was game over.

Fernando Moke was a yard over for the visitors, but Ellison had to tip over a shot from Kieran Lugsden as Glossop never took their foot off the gas.  Indeed, a short corner routine saw Matthew Williams cross diagonally for Young, who thumped a header beyond Ellison to make it 4-0 with ten minutes to go.

The Hillmen added a fifth as Thomas Bailey held the ball up well to tee up Ashley Stott, who finished with aplomb, and then to cap a miserable night for Droylsden Cooper’s red mist arrived as he was adjudged by the officials to have illegally impeded Stott in the area, with Young converting the resultant spot kick.

There’s no doubt Dave Pace will be smarting after such a defeat to local rivals, but does this squad have the character to respond?  They have before, but that was against lowly New Mills, and on this showing Droylsden face a similarly difficult season ahead.

GLOSSOP NE:         Hall G., White (Carey, 14’), Russell, Kelvin Lugsden, Young, Williams, Mulholland (Bailey, 69’), Stott, Rainford (Evason, 76’), Kieran Lugsden, Moran.  Subs not used – Lofthouse, Bowler.

DROYLSDEN:           Ellison, Bowyer, Parkinson, Hall S.., Cooper, Sharry (Hampson J., 46’), Pino, Burke, Smith, Koral (Henderson, 53’), Dougals-Pringle (Moke, 53’).  Subs not used – Clarke-Adam, Haynes.

Referee:                     Mr. Alan Hull (Sheffield)

Attendance:               411

Category: Match Reports