EvoStik NPL Division One (North)

Saturday 17 October 2015


Droylsden recorded only their second win of the season in entertaining style with this seven goal feast.  However, it was Cables who looked like party spoilers early on, as they took an early grip on proceedings with skipper James McCulloch side-footing home from Joe Edgar’s low left wing cross.

Cables kept the pressure on and looked to have doubled their lead through Joe Evans, but his shot struck the inside of the post and came back out into the area, where Phil Bannister reacted quickly, but could only fire wide.  Moments later, Lloyd Dean shot wide with only Sam Ramsbottom to beat.

With Droylsden therefore lucky not to be three behind, they finally sprang into action through Billy Hasler-Cregg, who teed-up Brandon Zibaka to shoot over the apex of bar and post.

Prescot hit back, though, and when Ben Barber slipped to allow Bannister in, it looked a certain goal, but Barber recovered brilliantly to block his shot.

Hence, it was somewhat against the run of play that Droylsden struck level, but what a goal it was, as home captain Steve Hall burst through to control a high forward pass with one touch, and fire high into the roof of the net from the edge of the box with the next.  Hall also saw a curling effort go just off target as the hosts finished the half on a high.

However, Cables started the second half as they started the first, right on the front foot.  Just four minutes in to the second period, and Ramsbottom could only palm Edgar’s cross straight on the head of Bannister, but he inexplicably headed over an open goal from four yards, perhaps the speed of the incident catching out the Cable guy.

A howler from the usually reliable Jacob Wood then paved the way for Prescot to regain their lead, when the Droylsden defender’s attempted clearance fell straight to Dean, and he crossed for ex-Blood Rob Doran to tap home.

Dave Pace had seen enough, and made a triple substitution that was to eventually win the game.  Within five minutes, a Zibaka cross deflected kindly to Dominic Smith at the far post, and the substitute did well to control a powerful first time half volley past Marcus Burgess.

Within four further minutes, Droylsden took the lead for the first time in the match when fellow substitute James Hampson volleyed past Burgess from Domaine Rouse’s pass over the Cables defence.

With six minutes remaining, Smith’s claims for a starting berth against Glossop were done no harm as he started and finished the move for the fourth goal, exchanging passes with Zibaka in the process.

Dean pulled a late consolation back for Cables to give the scoreline some respectability from their perspective, but the day was tarnished by a nasty looking injury to Hall, the Droylsden skipper having to be stretchered from the field.

DROYLSDEN:                      Ramsbottom, Antoine-Clarke, Barber, Wood, Murphy, Clarke-Adams (Pino, 61’), Rouse, Hall, Zibaka, Koral (Smith, 61’), Hasler-Cregg (Hampson J., 61’).  Subs. not used – Grimshaw, Haynes.

PRESCOT CABLES:          Burgess, Flood, Mannion, Herbert, O’Reilly (Joseph Evans, 73’), Joe Evans, Bannister (Glean, 80’), McCulloch, Doran (Nicholson, 61’), Dean, Edgar.  Subs. not used – Shinks, Hayes.

Referee:                                 Mr. Paul Tommes

Attendance:                          130

Category: Match Reports