Blue Square Bet North – Tuesday 29 January 2013

 by Gary Owen

 Droylsden failed to ease their relegation worries in a game that was clearly one involving a team aiming for promotion to the Blue Square Bet Premier, and another facing the drop. Indeed, Glyn Thompson in the Worcester goal will have few nights like this, where he didn’t have a single shot on target to save. 

Worcester signalled their early intent when Greg Mills shot narrowly wide and Danny Glover forced Dale Latham into a tip over from his curling effort inside the opening five minutes.

 Moments later, Latham made a great double save to deny Michael Taylor, as all players struggled on a squelchy pitch, but The Bloods collected themselves to launch an attack of their own. However, Carlos Logan’s effort flew too high after a good run at the City defence.

 With the Droylsden bench complaining of a push on a Bloods’ defender, Tom Thorley proceeded to see his shot deflected just wide of the post, and from the resultant corner the ball was drilled back into the box after being cleared to the edge, and Glover got the finishing touch in a crowded goalmouth.

 Five minutes later, and Worcester made it two when Glover turned provider for Taylor, ten yards from goal in the inside right channel, and he beat Latham at his near post with a cool finish.

 As the half drew to a close, another good run from Logan resulted in his shot flying wide of the mark, whilst at the other end Taylor side-stepped Mike Byron, only to fluff his lines with only Latham to beat, scooping the ball woefully over the bar.

 Droylsden introduced James Ellison for Lee Rick shortly after the break to go 4-3-3, and it almost paid off when Sean Doherty and Logan combined to enable Gomez Dali to fire low across the face of goal – Ellison threw himself at the ball, but ended-up bravely colliding with the post, having just failed to connect with the ball.

 A mistake from Jimmy Derbyshire then gifted the ball to Rob Elvins, who beat two before forcing another good save from Latham. The Droylsden stopper produced another good double stop to thwart Glover and to keep the scoreline respectable.

 Ahead of that, home debutante Dali beat two only to find Thompson out quickly to whip the ball from his toes, and in the dying moments a neat pass from Mike Byron found Dali in space in a good central position, but he failed to obtain any connection on the ball, enabling Thompson to gather up and conclude an easy night’s work for the Worcester keeper.

 Saturday’s trip to fellow strugglers, Histon, was always going to be a key fixture, but with Droylsden having not taken any points since early December, it takes on more significance, and yet the Cambridgeshire side have recently hit a decent run of form.


Droylsden:                              Latham, Derbyshire, Logan (Ward, 72’), Palmer, Byron, Chalmers, Rick (Ellison, 55’), Killeen, O’Neill (Frempong, 69’), Dali, Doherty.

Subs. not used:               Langford, Silva.

 Worcester City:            Thompson, Rowe, Deeney, Thorley, Whitehead, Ayres, Birley (Breeze, 69’), Elvins, Taylor (Symons, 63’), Glover, Mills (Reece, 73’).

Subs. not used:            Patterson, Khan.

 ATTENDANCE:                 140

 REFEREE:                            Mr. M. Salisbury (Preston, Lancashire)

Category: Match Reports