Blue Square Bet North – Saturday 6 April 2013

 by Gary Owen

 The visitors added another point towards their drive for safety against already doomed Droylsden in a game that got better as it progressed.

  The first-half was a rather drab affair, with each ‘keeper only tested once. The first of those chances fell to the visitors, when Lee McEvilly sold Jimmy Derbyshire short with a pass, and Corby worked the ball to Gary King, who saw his goal-bound drive tipped over by Dale Latham.

 In added time, Droylsden played a short corner, and as Carlos Logan drove into the box, he was tripped by Town skipper, Gareth Jelleyman, and McEvilly beat Paul Walker from the spot.

 However, it was less than two minutes after the re-start, and Town were level. A ball into the Bloods’ box from the left flank eluded all but King, who turned before slotting home from a central position.

 The referee’s assistant then adjudged - perhaps rather harshly - that Jason Crowe had handled Jason Gilchrist’s shot. McEvilly again took responsibility for the penalty, but this time Walker made the save, and as the ball rebounded to McEvilly, he spooned over from just 8 yards out with Walker crestfallen.

 Droylsden continued to press, though, and Steve Hall looked to have restored their lead with a far post header from Sam Minihan’s cross, but Crowe appeared from nowhere to make a super header clear.

 The Bloods did regain their advantage when Steve Hall headed home Logan’s corner kick, but that lead lasted barely a minute as Greg Kaziboni beat Sam Minihan to cross for King to notch his brace with a header.

 Two late chances at either end failed to break the deadlock, with the normally reliable Josh Moreman wasting the better of those for The Steelmen to leave honours even.


Droylsden:                  Latham, Minihan, Logan, Langford, McEvilly, Sissons, Derbyshire (Ward, 66’), Gallagher, O’Neill, Gilchrist, Hall.

Subs. not used:            Chalmers, Killeen, Cox, Berkeley.

Corby Town:              Walker, Crowe, Jelleyman (Vierra, 72’), Abalimba, Galinski, Piergianni, Semple, Wedderburn, Kaziboni (Moreman, 82’), King, Webb.

Subs. not used:            Malone, McGowan, Greer.

 ATTENDANCE:                 139

 REFEREE:                            Mr. Darren England (Barnsley, South Yorkshire)



Category: Match Reports