Blue Square Bet North - Tuesday 9 April 2013

 by Gary Owen

 Despite already being consigned to the drop, Droylsden produced a display inconsistent with their league position in North Wales to record their first ‘double’ of the season against fellow strugglers Colwyn Bay.



A brace of goals from Burnley loanee Jason Gilchrist, plus an absolute stunner from Carlos Logan, saw off a Bay side featuring ex-Bloods James Ellison, Danny Meadowcroft, Paul Ennis, plus Hyde loanee, Callum Byrne.

 With a fight for survival still on the cards, it was the hosts who began on the front foot, with Dale Latham forced in to good stops from ex-Trafford man Shelton Payne, and Ellison.

 However, The Bloods steadied themselves to create a chance of their own as Gilchrist was put through from Joe O’Neill’s pass, but Chris Sanna was equal to the task.

Steve Hall then headed Logan’s deep free kick back across the face of goal, with no-one was on hand to convert, but on 19 minutes Gilchrist got his reward; put through by his Burnley team-mate Luke Gallagher, and this time the youngster kept his composure to slot past Sanna.

Bay reacted well, though, with Payne striking the post. The Seagulls kept the pressure on, and as a free kick was only partly cleared, Payne this time made no mistake, beating Latham with a shot into the far corner on 26 minutes.

Droylsden regained the lead with Gilchrist’s second. He beautifully brought down Sam Minihan’s pass with a neat touch, before beating Sanna once more.

Two minutes from time came a goal of the highest order from Logan. He collected the ball some 30 yards from goal, and – yes, it was speculative, but also it was no fluke – Logan meant what he did, which was to strike as sweet a shot as you’ll see, over Sanna and dipping under the bar. Had that been scored by a Premier League player (and hence, caught by the TV cameras), then there’s no doubt it would have been a candidate for ‘Goal of the Season.’

Given that entertaining first half, there was little to write home about in the second. Naturally, Bay enjoyed much possession as they fought hard to get something from the game to contribute to their relegation plight, but Latham remained largely untested. He did have to tip away a hooked volley from Rob Hopley, and Jamie Crowther should have done better having side-stepped Minihan, but that was pretty much all the hosts could muster.

 Late on, Steve Hall saw his effort fly a yard over the bar, but there were to be no further goals, with Droylsden bringing all three points back over the border.


Colwyn Bay:                           Sanna, Taylor, Roberts, Crowther (Meadowcroft, 89’), Smyth, McKenna, Evans, Payne, Hopley, Ellison (Ennis, 49’), Joyce (Byrne, 57’).

Subs. not used:            Davey, Moore.

Droylsden:                              Latham, Minihan, Logan, Langford, McEvilly, Sissons, Derbyshire (Ward, 90’), Gallagher, O’Neill, Gilchrist (Grant, 75’), Hall (Killeen, 75’).

Subs. not used:               Chalmers, Cox.

ATTENDANCE:                 197

 REFEREE:                            Mr. Jason Tyas (Holmfirth, West Yorkshire)


Category: Match Reports