Blue Square Bet North - Saturday 13 April 2013

 by Gary Owen

 The Bloods could not continue their mini-revival over the Pennines in Bradford on Saturday, despite being the better side for much of the first half.

 During that opening period, Droylsden enjoyed better spells of possession, with Steve Hall and Jason Gilchrist both going close, before Adam Baker did likewise for the hosts.

 However, in stoppage time, Dale Latham took a heavy touch on a Carlos Logan back pass to put himself under pressure. His then weak clearance fell to Baker, who steadied himself before slotting past the back-peddling Droylsden stopper.

 Had the sides gone in level at the break, things may have been different, but shortly after the re-start, Avenue asserted their authority in their quest for a play-off spot. Richard Marshall played-in Paul Walker behind Sam Minihan, and the Avenue wide man hit his shot across Latham into the far corner for 2-0.

 Gilchrist then stung Lamb’s palms at the other end as Droylsden looked to stay in the game, but it was soon 3-0 when Aiden Savory found Nathan Hotte, who held off the attentions of Lee McEvilly before slotting past Latham.

 A Jordan Deacey strike flew just over the bar, before Jimmy Derbyshire saw red for an alleged stamp on the same man, which was somewhat harsh as the Bloods’ midfielder had to keep his balance and did not use excessive force when finding the Avenue man under his feet.

 Droylsden’s task was obviously more difficult, now, and Andy Langford produced a great block to deny Matty James, with Latham saving the follow-up from Hotte, but it was the Avenue skipper who kept the ball alive on 80 minutes to stab through for Marshall to hook home with a super volley.

 With eight minutes remaining, Jamie Jackson got beyond the Bloods’ rearguard to shoot at Latham, who got a hand to the ball, but could not prevent it from crossing the line to cap another miserable day for The Bloods.


Bradford (Park Avenue):            Lamb, Duckworth, Price, Marshall, Ryan, Clayton, James (Savory, 46’), Hotte, Baker (Jackson, 67’), Deacey, Walker (Daly, 61’)

Subs. not used:            Holland, Hume.

 Droylsden:                              Latham, Minihan, Logan, Langford, McEvilly, Sissons, Derbyshire, Gallagher, O’Neill, Gilchrist (Grant, 70’), Hall (Ward, 20’).

Subs. not used:               Chalmers, Killeen, Cox.

 ATTENDANCE:                 350

 REFEREE:                            Mr. Phil Dermott (Wigan)


Category: Match Reports