Evo-Stik Northern Premier League – Friday 16 August 2013

 by Gary Owen

 Droylsden made a poor start to life back in the Northern Premier League with a much-changed team in South Yorkshire on Friday evening. With only five of the starting eleven featuring last term, it looked like a team of strangers that kicked-off this season.

 The Bloods found themselves two down inside the opening dozen minutes, as their slugglish start was punished by a lively opening from the hosts.

 Indeed, barely two minutes were on the clock when Chris White’s deflected effort flew just over the bar, but on seven minutes Droylsden were behind. Nathan Joynes slammed his first time volley into the ground and it looped over a bemused Dale Latham and into the net off the far post.

 Only four minutes later, and Joynes doubled his and Steels’ tally when he curled a beauty beyond Latham from the edge of the box after Droylsden had failed to deal with a ball into the area.

 The much-travelled Chris Bettney then had the chance to add to the hosts’ lead, but he shot over when well-placed after Joynes had caused more problems for the visitors’ defence. Bettney volleyed wide from Alex Callery’s cross as Steels dominated the proceedings.

 It was 35 minutes before The Bloods registered an effort, but Porya Ahmadi shot over the apex of bar and post from a tight angle.

 Latham saved from Joynes and Brett Bowden-Lovell’s header hit the bar for the home side, otherwise Droylsden may have gone into the half-time break even further behind. The Bloods’ best effort of the first half was when Lewis Killeen’s header was deflected on top of the net.

 Dave Pace rang the changes at half-time, introducing Lee Healey and Ryan O’Hare, which resulted in a much-improved second half performance. However, before that improvement arrived, Droylsden fell further behind on 55 minutes when Liam Royles let fly with a first time effort after a good run by White, and the full-back’s effort went in off the post with Latham a spectator.

Healey saw a couple of efforts held by Ben Scott, and also had a decent shout for a penalty when Royles appeared to handle one of his strikes, but referee Mr. Yates was having none of it.

 Andy Langford and Reece O’Hare saw shots flow just off target, before Droylsden deservedly pulled a gola back when Healey’s shot this time had too much power and direction for Scott with fourteen minutes to go.

Calvin Crooks fired a shot across the face of goal when he ought to have at least tested Scott, but that was the end of Droylsden’s fight back, and really they can have few complaints regarding the result when taken over the 90 minutes.

 Hopefully, two home games may now signal some points on the board, before the derby at Hurst Cross, which will be like a reunion of former Bloods.


Stocksbridge PS:            Scott, Royles, Turner, Swirad, Bowden-Lovell, Callery, Bettney (Akeister, 81’), Knowles, Hamshaw (Denton, 35’), Joynes, White (Lipka, 66’)

Sub. Not used:            Senior, Davies.

 Droylsden:                  Latham, Hibbert, Crooks, Langford, Grant, Ahmed, Dieyte (O’Hare, 46’), Killeen, Moloney (Headlam, 73’), Ahmadi (Healey, 46’), Ward

Subs. not used:            McLoughin, Walton

 REFEREE:                                        Mr. Ollie Yates (Stafford)

 ATTENDANCE:                             273

Category: Match Reports