Evo-Stik Northern Premier League – Tuesday 20 August 2013

 by Gary Owen 

Droylsden’s poor start to the season continued, as they failed to seek revenge for last season’s FA Cup exit at the hands of the North Yorkshiremen, and so suffered a home defeat leaving Dave Pace’s men still seeking their first point of the season.

  The hosts were out of the blocks quickest as Dylan Maloney latched on to a ball down the line from Lee Healy, but he could only shoot straight at Shane Blank from a tight angle. After that, the Whitby keeper could have sat the rest of the night out, on the team coach, as he remained untested.

Consequently, there can be few complaints about the result, as from that point onwards Whitby controlled much of the proceedings, aside from brief spells of home pressure that failed to achieve any signs of a breakthrough.

 Indeed, Dale Latham was soon in action following Blank’s save when he denied Craig Farrell from point blank range when the former York City striker should really have scored.

 Fifteen minutes later, and it was Richard Pell’s turn to spurn a chance for the visitors, when he headed wide at the far post with a free header.

 Droylsden then responded with an attack of their own, but Matty Ward’s shot found the side netting with three team-mates better placed looking for a square ball, before Healy shot over from a tight angle.

Farrell then tried his luck, this time from distance, but Latham held on with Steven Snaith ready to pounce on any spillage from the home keeper.

 Moments before the break, Nathan Mulligan poked a shot over the bar following confusion in the Droylsden defence, before the Whitby midfielder then showed his defensive qualities when blocking an otherwise certain goal from a Healey shot at the other end.

Following the first half stalemate, Healey again shot too high, and a Mulligan effort was held firm by Latham, but the breakthrough came following the visitors’ introduction of ex-Blyth Spartans and Gateshead striker, Graeme Armstrong. After another Droylsden attack, Whitby countered and fed the ball to the experienced striker, who beat his man before firing across Latham and into the far corner on 73 minutes.

 Whitby then remained organised to see out the game, and with literally the last kick of the match, Farrell prodded the ball under Latham to make it 2-0 and confirm Droylsden to a second defeat.


Droylsden:                  Latham, Slaven, Crooks (Hibbert, 76’), Langford, Grant, Ahmed, O’Hare, Killeen (Westwood, 81’), Maloney, Healey, Ward (McLoughlin, 68’).

Subs. not used:            Headlam, Walton.

 Whitby Town:             Blank, Hassan (Henry, 60’), Robinson, Burgess, Pell, McTiernan (Williams, 74’), Mulligan, Portas, Snaith (Armstrong, 57’), Farrell, Rundle.

Subs. not used:            Evand, Cook.

REFEREE:                                        Mr. Chris Ward (Blyth, Nottinghamshire)

 ATTENDANCE:                             180


Category: Match Reports