Evo-StikNPL, Saturday 12 October 2013

 By Gary Owen

The Gingerbreads ran out comfortable winners against aDroylsden side that still looks miles from securing its first win of the season. Indeed, Town secured their victory despite being reduce to ten men for almost half of the game, and missing a penalty during the first period.

The visitors were three up inside the opening twenty minutes, thanks to sloppy defending by the hosts. The first arrived after just six minutes when Rohanie Graham headed Lee Ridley’s cross back across the recalled YannickNlate into the far corner.

Grantham doubled their lead seven minutes later when Droylsden failed to deal with a free kick into their box, with Rhys Lewis as surprised as anyone when he headed home at the far post.

Town’s third goal, however was a great team effort, with Kallum Smith and Jamie McGhee combining well on the left flank for the latter to plant the perfect cross onto Michael Towey’s head.

Nlate then saved twice from the lively McGhee before his own error costs his side a penalty when he took a heavy touch, allowing Massiah McDonald to win the ball. Nlate fouled the Town striker, but picked himself up to save the spot kick from the same man.

It was just six minutes after the re-start when Grantham found themselves down to ten men. Paul Lister was fouled by Domaine Rouse, but he then raised his hands towards the Droylsden forward, leaving referee David Underwood with no option but to dismiss.

The Bloods then, perhaps unsurprisingly, began to enjoy better spells of possession, but Haystead was only stretched once in the remaining forty minutes, tipping over Valter Fernandez’s drive that was otherwise bound for the top corner.

Haystead did have to save from Dylan Wolstenholme, but it was straight at him, and Valter Fernandez shot over from a central position just 16 yards from goal, but Town held firm to take the three points back to Lincolnshire.


DROYLSDEN – Nlate, Fernandez V., Rouse-Edmondson, Hampson, Grant, Fernandez M. (Masirika, 53’), Wolstenholme (Slaven, 79’), Ahmed, Rouse, McLoughlin (Silveiro 53’), Tandy. Subs not used – Clarkson, Hibbert.

GRANTHAM TOWN – Haystead, Purcicoe, Ridley, Lister, Miller, Lewis, McGhee, Towey, Graham (King, 65’), McDonald (Nwadike, 72’), Smith (Meikle, 52’).Subs not used – Sucharewycz, Robinson..

Referee:                                Mr. David Underwood

Attendance:                          162

Category: Match Reports