Evo-StikNPL, Tuesday 29 October 2013

By Gary Owen

Regrettably, the score line is not a misprint, meaning that Droylsden suffered their heaviest defeat in living memory at a chilly and quiet Butcher’s Arms on Tuesday night.

Indeed, their high-flying visitors took the lead inside 23 seconds, despite Droylsden kicking-off! The Bloods gave away possession seconds after the start, and four passes later Bradley Barnes drilled past Sam Andrew for the opener.

At that point,many felt a rout was on the cards, but credit to the home side as they then held their own against the title challengers, despite being reduced to ten men on 26 minutes when Alex Mortimer saw a straight red for a professional foul on Danny Lloyd on the edge of the box. Sam Andrew saved well from the resultant free kick, having earlier turned away an effort from Lloyd at his near post.

As half-time loomed, a one-goal lead didn’t look unassailable given the first half showing from the hosts, regardless of their numerical disadvantage, and the second half was looking like being an interesting contest. However, with virtually the last kick of the half, Lloyd stabbed a low ball into the Droylsden box, and Harry Winter doubled Fylde’s lead. That goal clearly deflated The Bloods, who were always in this game up to that point.

That said, few would have predicted eight second half goals, but that is exactly what ensued. Inside the opening minute of the second period, Andrew had to save from Lloyd, but Bradley Barnes notched his brace, and Fylde’s third on 48 minutes.

The same man recorded his hat-trick on 50 minutes, before twice going close to add to his tally. However, Michael Barnes did make it 5-0 on 65 minutes, with Bradley Barnes scoring his fourth and fifth goals on the night in the next five minutes to make it 7-0.

With 13 minutes remaining, Matty German headed clear for the hosts, but the ball fell to Luke Denson just outside the box, who despatched a super strike to make it 8-0.

Centre half Russell Andrew then joined in with a headed goal from a corner kick to make it 9, and Lloyd did record double figures for Dave Challinor’s men with a good run and shot in the 90th minute.

It’s going to take something special to rescue Droylsden’s season from here, but at least time – at present – remains on their side.


DROYLSDEN:          Andrew S., Hampson, Rouse-Edmondson, Gaskin, Mortimer, Ahmed, Kelly (Gilchrist, 57’), Fitzpatrick (McLoughlin, 72’), Rouse (German, 72’), Brandao (McLoughlin, 69’), Tandy. Subs not used – Moore, Grant.

AFC FYLDE:             Hinchcliffe, Hankin, Sunmer, Hughes R., Andrew R., Hughes C., (Derney, 69’) Barnes B., Winter (Booth, 46’), Lloyd, Barnes M., Mahon (Denson, 72’). Sub. not used – Fleming.

Referee:                                Mr. Martin Woods

Attendance:                          110

Category: Match Reports