Blue Square Bet North – Saturday 12 January 2013

by Gary Owen

Droylsden’s relegation woes took a turn for the worse on Saturday, despite holding a deserved half-time lead at Damson Park, and it was a lead that they held until 13 minutes from time. With a number of other results going against Dave Pace’s men, this defeat sees them some eight points from safety, although there are 19 games remaining.

Early half-chances were arriving evenly at both ends of the pitch, but as the first period wore on, it was the visitors who began to assert themselves on their Birmingham hosts.

Steve Hall – playing just behind the front men – outmuscled Danny Spencer in the Moors’ box, and rounded Jasbir Singh, but the angle was tight and the Moors’ stopper recovered well to block. However, that was s sign of things to come from Droylsden, and four minutes later they took the lead.

Again, it was Hall who was at the thick of the action, with his shot being blocked, but the ball fell kindly to Joe O’Neill just inside the box, and he drilled a left-footed, first time effort into the bottom corner.

Moments later, a Darryl Knights header struck the Droylsden bar with Dale Latham a mere spectator, and Sean Doherty was a yard wide with a free kick at the other end.

Hall was leading the charge for The Bloods at the start of the second half, with two efforts off target, before charging down a Moors clearance, which enabled O’Neill to hit a snap shot straight at Singh.

Latham held on to a similar effort from Tom Kemp at the other end, before Singh clawed away another Droylsden effort following a neat free kick from Lee Rick to Carlos Logan.

Perhaps it was no coincidence that Droylsden began to lose their way once influential skipper Rob Sissons limped out of the action with an injury, resulting in an enforced reshuffled of resources.

Within two minutes of that substitution, Dior Angus, himself introduced at half-time for Solihull, whipped past no fewer than three Droylsden defenders to fire a ball into the box from the right flank. The ball struck the post, and hit Latham’s back before bobbling over the line for a bizarre equaliser.

This gave renewed impetus to the home side, and Gary Birch saw a shot deflected wide before a cross from Angus saw Birch loop a header against the Droylsden bar.

With less than two minutes remaining, Mike Byron – who up to that point had produced a fine display at centre half on his second Bloods’ debut – tripped Birch just outside the box. Angus sniffed an opportunity, and he clipped the ball up and over the Droylsden wall and just inside Latham’s right hand post giving the Droylsden ‘keeper no chance.

And so it proved to be yet another spirit-sapping result for Droylsden, but the desire of the players to get out of their current plight was there for all to see. Perhaps the rub of the green in the next game may spark a run of results, but that won’t be easy given next-up are promotion-chasing Altrincham!


Solihull Moors:                     Singh, Pierpoint, Langdon, Fleet, Kemp, Spencer (Rosser, 46’), Knights, English, Birch (Clarke, 86’), Blackwood (Angus, 46’), Bogle.

Subs. not used:                    Denny, Bennett.

Droylsden:                             Latham, Derbyshire, Killeen, Palmer, Byron, Sissons (Frembong, 74’), Rick, Hall, O’Neill, Logan (Jacombs, 86’), Doherty (Ellison, 82’).

Subs. not used:                    Langford, Silva.

ATTENDANCE:                    191

REFEREE:                            Mr. Steven Plane (Pershore, Worcestershire)

Category: Match Reports