Print this page
Sunday, 21 August 2016 08:14

Bloods in FA Cup Thriller

Written by
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Bloods 4-4 Radcliffe Borough 


Surely the tie of the round?

Droylsden and Radcliffe will lock horns again on Tuesday night after sharing eight goals in an FA Cup thriller at the Butcher's Arms.

The Bloods were unchanged from Tuesday night's draw with Prescot and for the third game in succession fell behind to an early goal when an Elliot Rokka free kick from the edge of the area flew into James Coates' top corner.

The Bloods were level just five minutes later, the dangerous Steve Lewis who had already had a couple of chances, was brought down in the box by keeper Johnson and converted from the penalty spot.

With the strong wind behind them Radcliffe continued to look dangerous and when Josh Heaton fouled Raul Correia, only a fine save from Coates denied Rokka from a free kick from thirty yards out.

The Bloods went ahead on the half hour mark, Steve Lewis again brought down in the penalty area and once again converting from the penalty spot.

Radcliffe nearly pulled level, Lassana Natalatch shooting from near the halfway line forcing a fine save from Coates who tipped the shot over the bar.

2-1 at half time and the Bloods looked the stronger as the second half got under way, a fine save from Borough keeper Johnson denying Luke Daly early on and Lloyd Ellams heading over from a Luke Daly free kick.

Ten minutes into the second half though the visitors were level, skipper Jack Hindle capitalising on indecision in the Bloods defence to fire home.

Droylsden nearly went ahead from the kick off.Steve Lewis's speculative shot from the half way line clipping the bar.

Manager Dave Pace brought on Jeff King for his debut in place of Paul McManus and was forced into a second change when Shaquille Clarke pulled up, Ben Hampson coming on for his first start of the season

Shortly after The Bloods took the lead, Luke Daly latching onto a loose ball after a scramble in the box.

Josh Heaton had a great chance to make it four, heading over from a Jeff King free kick but on seventy eight minutes the visitors were level, substitute Yousif Yousif slotting home after Coates saved from Jack Hindle.

The tie could have gone either way as both teams went on the attack, and Droylsden must have thought they had sealed it when Luke Daly's low shot beat a diving Johnson.

The visitors weren't finished though, equalising with just two minutes left from a Rokka header.

Neither though were the Bloods, deep into injury time a Jeff King effort was tipped over the bar.

Afterwards manager Dave Pace said he was gutted, the team, he said, gave themselves an uphill battle conceding early on, all the oppositions goals coming from mistakes, and for the second time in the week, not playing cultured football.

The Sides meet on Tuesday night for Round Two of the battle to meet Spennymoor in the 1st Qualifying round.


Read 4521 times